Thursday, July 26, 2012

Where've I been hiding?

Wow - I haven't written in a while!  I've been reading along on all of those blogs I follow, I just haven't gotten to the participation portion of blogging lately...

So, why is that?  I guess I'm so bored with the day to day life of healing after surgery that I can't imagine anyone else would not be bored by it!  But here's an update - just so I can say I did it :)

Still healing.  Yes, the second surgery should've originally happened a week or so ago - but my body is not ready yet.  (In addition to being allergic to bandaids, latex, sulpha drugs, yadda yadda yadda - I am also apparently allergic to my stitches as they dissolve)  As soon as my body says so, I guess we'll do that second surgery :)  One more step toward being done with this cancer nonsense.

In the meantime, I'm searching for sailing schools.  I think I've found one I like in Fernandina Beach, FL.  Not much of a drive, beautiful water and close to friends so we won't need hotel rooms while we learn to sail.

So why are we learning to sail? We bought this condo with the knowledge that there will eventually be a dock built - and we are itching to get back on the water! We've narrowed the type of boat we want down to, most likely, a sailing catamaran.  Thus the obvious need to know how to sail.  I'm a big fan of On the Job Training, but something tells me that learning the basics would be handy.  That and all of the stories from the blogs I follow of other sailors that have both learned the hard way and those that have taken courses.  I say you can never have too much knowledge crammed into your noggin.

Now I just need to have the next surgery to get these tissue expanders out and the final implants put in -and heal from that, and we're off to the sailing lessons!  I'm hoping to start next spring (I'm pretty sure that pec muscles will be crucial in sailing...)  There are at least 2 courses we want to take - and most likely 3.  (ASA 101, 103 and probably 104 - but there are others that look cool too!)  These courses will not only help me feel more confident in the bigger boats, but pass some time and help me feel like we're working toward our goal while continuing on with life for the next (?) years.  (Ok, so we have a timeline, I just don't want to currently publish it)

What have you guys been up to?

1 comment:

  1. I took sailing lessons with a friend of mine in San Diego. So much fun!!! We started with what I think were called Hobie Cats and worked our way up to a 28 foot sailboat. Almost got attacked by some pissed off sea lions, too. Will never forget it and would do it again in a heartbeat. You will love it! Sorry you're so bored...starting my blog back up so maybe you can stalk me once in a while. :) Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete