Thursday, May 14, 2009

3 weeks all rolled into one! (one blog, that is.)

Ok, so I have internet at home now, and no excuse to continue to neglect my blog. It's been a busy 3 weeks, so get comfortable.

I got here on April 22nd. It was a long flight, but Mark was able to meet me, get me to the apt. and then take me on a mini-tour to show me how the tram system works, etc. Then he went back to work and I headed to the grocery store to get stuff for dinner! It's a daily trip to the store for fresh bread and veggies. But I can walk pretty much anywhere, and there are so many stores to choose from. It's really a lot of fun, and I will miss the ease of walking everywhere when we get back to the states.

I spend most days exploring Basel while Mark works. I read, paint, and browse all of the little shops. Switzerland uses Francs, while Germany and France use Euros - so I'm still converting everything in my head while I shop. The money is pretty straight forward, but the language is another story! The official language is German, but as we are also on the French border, there is a lot of French as well. Not to mention the local slang. It all combines to equal "Swiss German" - and Rosetta Stone does not make a course for this... So we're learning a few words at a time and getting by just fine. (A lot of people speak English here, and help me when I have questions.)

We've done several trips already. We went to Luzern a couple of weekends ago, and then I went a couple of days ago with the girls.
In Luzern, Mark and I went to the top of Mt. Pilatus on the cable cars:
Here's the view from the top! You've got to REALLY want to go to chuch to go here. (look very closely at the center of the photo.)
Just a shot of some of the stairs/snow/views:And here's how we got down part of the mountain!It's called a sledge. Here's a good explanatory shot. It was a blast!This is me being pulled back up - backwards. Seemed wierd at first, but made for great views at a slower speed. I was facing the valley/lake (below).

Dawn, Ashley and I went back on Monday. We hung out and explored the city. We also took a two hour boat tour that took us to Weggis where we had an excellent meal!


Ok, I think that's enough for now. I'll hit the other trips in separate blogs. See you soon!

1 comment:

  1. You got some amazing shots! I can't believe that isolated church! And I think I need a sledge in my backyard, when I get one...What was Weggies!

    ReplyDelete