Friday, May 15, 2009

Randomness in Basel

I am about half way into my 4th week here. I think it's a good time to share some random observations/facts of my time so far:
  • Bright colors are very popular. Color coordination is not.
  • All black is perfectly acceptable. (I blend!)
  • Nose picking is also acceptable. (I don't blend.)
  • People do not acknowledge you when passing you on the sidewalk/street.
  • Clean/safe/timely public transportation is fantastic.
  • Trams make lots of stops, but buses only make the "key" stops.
  • Fresh bread at the grocery store is the best thing ever.
  • I like swiss cheese. Some of it tends to smell like feet.
  • American rap is big here. It's usually 6 months or more behind in popularity, however. For example, OPP is currently on the radio. Seriously.
  • I can get to several places in this country by train within an hour. For less than $30 USD round trip.
  • I have not found such luck in getting to Bulgaria. But I'm working on it!
  • It rains frequently here, but when the weather is nice - it's unbeatable.
  • I need a hammock.
  • I need a porch/yard for this hammock.
  • There are museums for everything here - including paper, dolls, pharmacy, cartoons, and domestic life. I will go to some, if not all, of these.
  • Everyone rides bicycles here. There is a school on the corner that teaches kids to ride in the streets.
  • Lots of people smoke here. But I've not been anywhere that I could not get away from the smoke. Restaurants tend to at least have a non-smoking section - if not ban smoking completely.
  • Even the teenagers smoke.
  • Other than smoking, people seem to be very health concious.
  • The legal drinking age is 16 for wine, beer and cider. It's 16-18 for hard stuff - depending on your Canton (basically a county.)
  • Lots of people have "Ronald McDonald" red hair. Not purple or slightly red - RONALD MCDONALD.
  • Speaking of, McDonald's is good here. But a value menu costs between 10-15 francs.
  • It's cheaper to eat lunch at McD's than almost anywhere else.
  • Basel is about even with Seattle, Washington and lots of places in Canada latitude (or longitude?)-wise.
  • I have a feeling Winter will be cold!
  • Summer is from July to September, so it's still Spring here.
  • Now techno is playing on the radio.
  • You don't have a trash bill here, but you do have to buy very specific, and somewhat pricey, trash bags. The cost of the trash bags covers the cost of trash service. I like it.
  • Nothing really has preservatives.
  • I am forced to shop daily for food, or else it would go bad.
  • I can walk to just about any kind of store you can imagine. Even some you can't.
  • Stores do not have shopping bags. You must bring your own, or buy a reusable bag when you get there.
  • You must bag your own groceries - and you better be quick about it.
  • Pedestrians always have the right of way. Unless there's a tram...
  • People in cars ALWAYS stop for pedestrians. And they don't get upset about it.
  • Nothing is open on Sundays. Except for bakeries, really early, because everyone needs their daily bread.
  • Now a reggae/rap concoction is on...

Have a great Friday!

1 comment:

  1. ugh cheese smells like feet! I love the 'biking in the streets school for kids', I love the Ronald hair, I love that you noted it so, and I love that people stop for pedestrians! they did that in Spain but don't in BG. Hammock weather sounds amazing! Summer is June thru mid Sept here...so we're def still spring, too. I REEEALLY need you to come visit us at the seaside, you know we'll foot 1/2 the cost of the tix. And V said he'll talk to some ppl and find it cheap as poss. Fresh daily bread rocks!!!! I love the healthy aspects but am shocked with the smoking! Gasp! (literally!)

    ReplyDelete